When you were a kid your integrity may have been assaulted with a blazing childhood rant: Liar, Liar, Pants On Fire!
Lying, however, isn’t in the repertoire of God—He’s the epitome of truthfulness and faithfulness: God is not a man, that He should lie, nor a son of man, that He should repent (Numbers 23:19).
The Psalms are replete with verses that testify of the faithfulness of God:
- 15:4: He makes firm commitments and does not renege on his promise.
- 18:30: The Lord’s promise is reliable; he is a shield to all who take shelter in him.
- 25:30: The Lord always proves faithful and reliable to those who follow the demands of his covenant.
- 100:5: For the Lord is good. His loyal love endures, and he is faithful through all generations.
God’s faithfulness is more than just the subject of polite conversation, it’s a concept that sustains us in those where-the-rubber-meets-the-road moments of life:
- The grief-stricken need to know they can trust God when he says: “Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning (Psalm 30:5).”
- To the lonely and downcast, God promises that, “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you (Isaiah 43:2).”
- The weak are energized by the potential of Philippians 4:13: “I can do all thing through Christ who strengthens me.”
- The overwhelmed often find comfort in the opening words of Psalm 23: “The Lord is my shepherd . . .”
God is not wishy-washy, He’s reliable and His, “word is firmly fixed in the heavens, and His faithfulness endures to all generations (Psalm 119:89-90).”
Regardless of your circumstances in life, remember this: “The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness (Lamentations 3:22-23).”