Today is more than just another Monday. It’s the day that has been set aside to honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Dr. King is remembered for his life of dedication, and his speeches that focused on forgiveness, peace, righting wrongs, and loving one another.
Since today is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, I share a few quotes to honor him:
- Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
- Faith is taking the first step even when you can’t see the whole staircase.
- Only in the darkness can you see the stars.
- We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.
- The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
- It does not matter how long you live, but how well you do it.
- When our days become dreary with low-hovering clouds of despair, and when our nights become darker than a thousand midnights, let us remember that there is a creative force in this universe, working to pull down the gigantic mountains of evil, a power that is able to make a way out of no way and transform dark yesterdays into bright tomorrows.
- To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing.
Please give some careful consideration to this last quote. I suggest that you focus on it, and make it a prayer throughout this week:
Use me, God. Show me how to take who I am, who I want to be, and what I can do, and use it for a purpose greater than myself.