When your life is filled with worries and regrets focused on the past or the future, you rob yourself of the necessary strength to live in the present; and, the simple truth is this—your life can be filled with joy and peace?
If you had to rely on just internal resources, living a life of joy and peace could be difficult, but there’s good news— the God of hope will fill you with joy and peace in your faith, and it is by the power of the Holy Spirit, that your whole life and outlook may be radiant with hope (Romans 15:13).
Seven words in the verse above give us the key to doing this: “by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Sometimes you have to remind yourself that you will fail when you try to live in just the power of your might and strength. The secret is to live in the power of the Spirit (Zechariah 4:6).
This is a principle that helped to guide David. In Psalm 16 he said, “I keep the Lord in mind always.” Because David did this:
• He praised the Lord who counseled him
• He could sleep at night because his conscience instructed him instead of worrying him
• His heart was glad, his spirit rejoiced, and his body rested securely
• He knew God would not abandon him and that he had the promise of Heaven
• He found abundant joy and eternal pleasures as he walked the path of life
The next time you find your mind full of worries and regrets, refocus your thoughts on this truth: “Don’t worry over anything whatever; tell God every detail of your needs in earnest and thankful prayer, and the peace of God which transcends human understanding, will keep constant guard over your hearts and minds as they rest in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:6-7).”