I’m not sure if I should label it progression or regression, but I have gone from wearing no glasses, to bi-focals, and for several years now I have moved into the tri-focal stage.
Each step in this vision process involved a trip to the eye doctor and a prescription for new glasses. The last time I got a new prescription for eyeglasses, I noticed the abbreviations OS and OD. The OS is for the left eye, and it is a Latin abbreviation that means “oculus sinister.” The right eye is OD and is the Latin “oculus dextrus.”
The fact that I have a sinister left eye, made me curious, and I looked at the etymology of oculus sinister and dextrus:
- The Latin meaning of sinister speaks of that which is “contrary, false; unfavorable; to the left.”
- Dextrus has the meaning of being “right or ready.”
In these two words, we see the struggle that each of us face. It is the conflict between evil and good or flesh and spirit. In Romans 8:5, Paul said: “For those who live according to the flesh have their outlook shaped by the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit have their outlook shaped by the things of the Spirit.”
Since your “outlook” is determined by the flesh or the spirit, you may want to take an “in-look” at what the Bible says about desire:
- James 1:14-15: Everyone is tempted by his own desires as they lure him away and trap him. Then desire becomes pregnant and gives birth to sin. When sin grows up, it gives birth to death.
- Proverbs 27:20: Hell and Destruction are never full; so the eyes of man are never satisfied.
- 2 Peter 2:14: Having eyes full of adultery and that cannot cease from sin, they entice unstable souls. They have a heart trained in covetous practices.
Which one of your eyes guides you? Do you see the world through the sinister side or the saintly side? I encourage you to take a look at your life, and consider using the words of Psalm 119:36-38 as your prayer for today:
“Turn my heart toward Your Law, so I will not earn money in a wrong way. Turn my eyes away from things that have no worth, and give me new life because of Your ways. Keep Your promise to Your servant, the promise You made to those who fear and worship You.”