It’s a week that began with Palm Sunday, and it will end this Sunday with the celebration of Easter. Palm Sunday is associated with the triumphal entry of Jesus into Jerusalem, and Easter is the joyful recognition of His resurrection.
There’s a three word question that was asked by those who observed Jesus on Palm Sunday. As He rode a white donkey through the narrow and dusty streets of Jerusalem, they asked: “Who is this?”
The Gospel of John presents a group of witnesses that offer a line of testimony that answers this question:
- John testifies that Jesus turned water into wine at the marriage supper of Cana.
- The nobleman gives a detailed account of how Jesus simply spoke and his dying son was healed.
- The man who had been crippled for 38 years jumps in the air and clicks his heels together to show the miraculous manner in which Jesus healed him.
- The little boy holds up an empty lunch pail and says: “It had just enough food for my dinner, but Jesus blessed it and there was enough to feed 5,000 people.”
- The seasoned fishermen relive the moment when they thought their boat was going to sink and they were going to drown: “The Master appeared out of nowhere, walked on the waves, commanded the water to be still, and we were saved.”
After listening to all the testimony, a man rises and says: “May I speak? I think my evidence is conclusive. You see, I was dead, but somehow I heard the clear and loud voice of Jesus: ‘Lazarus come forth,’ and I shook off the chains of death. I’m living proof of who Jesus is.”
Who is this? Jesus is:
- The Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end.
- The Bread of Life.
- The Light of the world.
- The Good Shepherd
- The Way, the Truth, and the Life.
- Resurrection and the life
Who is Jesus to you?