Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night with strange or random thoughts on my mind. When this happened recently, I was thinking of two statements that Jesus made:
- The first is an admonition to be discreet: Be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.
- The second is a command to be discrete: Be in the world, but not of the world.
As I thought about these two statements, the words discreet and discrete came to my mind. Even though these words are homophones, they are not synonyms. Discreet implies wisdom in your behavior or speech. Discrete means: distinct or separate.
What section of the Bible outlines a discreetly discrete Christian life? I think it’s the Beatitudes in Matthew 5:
- Blessed are the poor in spirit, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to them.
- Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
- Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
- Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied.
- Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
- Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the children of God.
- Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to them.
What change can you make to help you become a discreetly discrete person?