As I was going from room to room in Mom’s house in search of some misplaced item, I noticed her many flashlights. When I noticed them, I was reminded of how comforting and reassuring light can be in the middle of the night or during a storm.
The light of the Lord’s presence is also a great comfort. Light is not something that God has, light is who God is. John wrote that, “God is light; in Him there is no darkness at all.”
While God “is light,” He is much more. Think about the following tidbits from the Psalms that help to define God:
• Ps 18:30: As for God, his way is perfect: The Lord’s word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him.
• Ps. 33:12: Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord
• Ps. 46:1: God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble
• Ps. 46:11: The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress
• Ps. 48:14: God is our God for ever and ever; he will be our guide even to the end
• Ps 54:14: Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me
• Ps. 68:20: Our God is a God who saves
• Ps. 73:26: God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
• Ps. 84:11: God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor
• Ps. 116:15: The Lord is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion.
And, because God is all of this, we should: “Sing to God, sing in praise of his name, and extol him who rides on the clouds; rejoice before him— his name is the Lord (Ps. 68:4).”